Saturday, July 14, 2007

Chai

CHAI

I've been living in Pakistan for about two year now. In this time I have learned some rules one should follow

Rule number1:

there is always time for chai.

Chai is basically tea with milk boiled together for as long as possible.

Any house, any office, any pubblic place has someone incharge of chai.

Chai is offered to costumer in a shop if they are sitting there for more then a couple minutes (literally). In pubblic administration offices, banks, anywhere one gets offered hot tea with milk.

Chai is triky businness because being the weather about 45°C outside with a humidity of 99% pretty much from march to November a hot cup of tea is not exactly something to cool one down.

It can't be refused. Refusing chai could be considered as rude as spitting on ones floor in the west. So far I've tried a few tricks that could save ones ass from time to time.

Usually I go for “thanks, I JUST had one a minute ago”. But if I spent already more then half hour with a person, then this excuse doesn't really work no more, because after 30 minutes is already about time for another chai.

In these occasions I usually back up with: “I can't really drink milk....”.

This, which would really work in a western country has a series of draw backs in here.

People are not usually happy to hear “you know what you are offering me really makes me sick”.

Plus lactose intolerance is not something people are aware here. In a place where children die for malnutrition, milk intolerance somehow is not common....

Some other people think I belong to some weird religion. As they don't drink wine I don't drink milk....that kind of make 'em suspicious...do I also worship cows???? And if so….then I could be Indian!!!!!!!!!!

Last, but not least, drawback....wherever there is chai there is kawa (Green tea). In which case I got to have that.

Both chai and kawa are served at a temperature of approximately 535°C in a cup of non clear origin that usually has stains that have reached voting age. These stains are there for a reason. I promise they will find the way to ones stomach and take over it in no time!


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Davide, what you wrote is true...but spending you saturday doing that means you need some holiday.
Regards
Your boss
P.S I always forget that you are posted in Mansehra and you can't enjoy the amazing nightlife of Islamabad "Da Beautiful"

Anonymous said...

tesoro te lo avevo detto che bisogna andara a campobasso!!! li' altro che chai e kawa, sesso e caciocavallo p' tutti.
d

Davide said...

Ma io pensavo che campobasso fosse in provincia di Nowshera

Unknown said...

Ci sono alcuni negozi di vanguardia ad islamafogn dove ti offrono anche "cold drinks"...Sapi che in Mozambico al te lo chiamano cha. Temo che i fedeli siano arivati fin qui e la i sia sparita col tempo.

Anonymous said...

davide puoi dare vita a un busines,promuovilo in italia come lassativo omeopatico!!!

"COL LASSATIVO CHAI
SUL WATER TE NE STAI!!!"

ESPO